Central Coast Ferries
Woy Woy - Empire Bay
Timetable
Woy Woy - Ettalong
(The Cockatoo Ferry)
Lunch at the Davo
Illoura Walk
Our Fleet
What's On
Terms & Conditions
Home

 

 

 

 

Our Fleet

 

MV SARATOGA

 

Purpose built for the original owner s of Central Coast Ferries, SARATOGA is a modern aluminum catamaran. The SARATOGA was built in QLD in 2003 by custom boat builders New Wave Catamarans. Although the SARATOGA is a “high speed” ferry, it is operated as a “slow” ferry on the regular passenger run from Woy Woy – Empire Bay, via Davistown & Saratoga ( hence the name!).

SARATOGA is powered by 2 Cummins 6BT Diesel engines, 220 HP each, which are efficient and clean diesel fuel engines due to their rigid maintenance program by the crew. The vessel is in survey to carry 78 passengers plus 2 crew comfortably. There is a partially covered rear deck plus fully covered boat deck. SARATOGA is a sturdy and stable vessel, which allows easy access for passengers with disabilities (dependent upon wharves).

SARATOGA has modern electronics with radar & chart plotters on board should the skippers need them, plus a depth sounder & 27MG radio. There is also a CD player/radio on board.

SARATOGA is 11.97m long, 5.41m wide and has a depth of 1.70m. The vessels propellers are protected by “skegs” due to the shallow waterways of the coast. Since SARATOGA was launched, the vessel has carried more than 360,000 passengers safely and on time!

Recently, SARATOGA has been refurbished with new carpets and new seating is on order. SARATOGA is also used for passenger transfers to waterfront restaurants, and is also available for group bookings and private charters. SARATOGA also can be hired to transport passengers to Pittwater & the Hawkesbury River systems (conditions apply).

A sturdy and sound vessel, Australian designed and built, SARATOGA has many years ahead as a safe and reliable vessel for our waterways – in fact our commuters say that you can set your watch by the SARATOGA’s timetable.

 

Passenger Launch CODOCK II

 

  • Built Circa 1945
  • Construction Keel, Stem, Ribs are Australian Hardwoods.
  • Planking is Oregon, Decking is Beech (under renovation)
  • Displacement tonnage 16 tonnes
  • Dimensions Length 40’ Beam 12’ Draft 5’
  • Passenger capacity 49 + 2 crew
  • Power Gardner Marine Diesel Engine Model 5LW 5 cylinders of
  • 4.25” Bore & 6” Stroke developing 70BHP

The hull of the CODOCK II was built during or immediately after World War II, as a standard 40’ workboat destined for the defence forces. These vessels were almost exclusively powered by the model 671 Grey Marine Diesel engines (the Detroit Diesels of today). Originally CODOCK II would have been fitted with very limited accommodation for two in a short trunk cabin forward, with a shelter for the crew t the steering station, with an open well aft of that for carrying cargo and or personnel.

This particular vessel was acquired by Cockatoo Dockyard in 1947 and converted to the layout seen to-day as a passenger vessel to ferry employees to and from Cockatoo Island and to and from ships around the harbour.

CODOCK II shared these duties with a number of similar vessels, some of whom are still working on the harbour, however CODOCK II was given special attention such as her interior finish in teak to also serve as the VIP launch assigned to other duties such as transporting special guests of the company and carrying management when attending special functions etc.

Much of the construction, modification and repair work on these vessels were done by the apprentices on Cockatoo Dockyards. It is not unusual when removing fittings etc for repair or replacement, to find a name or a date written underneath. The interior varnished teak trim was the waste or off cuts salvaged from the refitting of merchant and passenger vessels that had seen war service and were restored at Cockatoo (and other shipyards) for handing back to their owners for normal civilian service.

Despite her years, CODOCK II is a very sound vessel, her under planking is protected by copper sheathing, but most importantly whilst she has had a busy sixty or so years of continuos hard service, CODOCK II has undergone annual slipping and survey as a passenger carrying vessel.

CODOCK II was in daily service up until Cockatoo Dockyard was shut down. She was purchased at that time at auction by Doyle’s of Watson’s Bay, and after some modifications it was intended to use her to transport patrons from Circular Quay to Watson’s Bay and return; however she did not see extensive service and was purchased by a Rossmans Ferries for a period and then by Moonlight Charters in 1995. She was used to transport picnickers to various Harbour Islands and similar short trips.

CODOCK II was purchased by her present owners Central Coast Ferries in 2006 for use on a new expanded ferry run linking Woy Woy , Hardys Bay & Ettalong areas. She is undergoing a restoration by Conway Marine over the next few years, which will include having her beech deck re laid. These family owned enterprises are passionate about the waterways and its history.

 

 

 

 

 COAST CHARTER BOAT COMPANY PTY LTD T/A's Central Coast Ferries - PO Box 5048 Empire Bay NSW 2257
Ph: 02 4363 1311   Fax: 02 4363 1211   Ferry: 0418 63 1313    Cockatoo Ferry: 0432 631 212   Email:
info@centralcoastferries.com.au
Copyright © 2006. All rights reserved.
Another Oomah.com creation!